ONWARD (Open Network for Water-Related Diseases) is a project funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) of UK and is dedicated to developing a network of scientists and stakeholders sharing a common interest in better understanding of environmental controls on outbreaks of water-related diseases; the role of societal engagement in countering it; and in forecasting, early warning and risk mapping of water-associated diseases through the use of remote sensing, field observations and mathematical modelling. Our vision is to enable cost-effective, regularly updated, geo-referenced early warning for areas vulnerable to water-associated diseases, which in turn will enable preventive measures to be deployed in a timely manner to minimise the probability of epidemics. It is an open network committed to promote better dialogue and collaboration among experts from all relevant disciplines (including, but not limited to, microbiologists, molecular biologists, environmental scientists, remote-sensing scientists, medical practitioners, and social scientists) and with stakeholders, including the general public.
INTERNATIONAL TRAINING ON
‘INTEGRATING EO WITH OTHER DISCIPLINES TOWARDS ADDRESSING WATER QUALITY AND HUMAN HEALTH’
Under the auspices of ONWARD (Open Network on Water-Related Diseases) project, the third international training course is being organised on integrating earth observation with other disciplines towards addressing water quality and human health.
Online lectures (13-31 March, 2023) & Hands-on training (April-May 2023)
- Al Malki A, Brumfield KD, Tsui CKM, Anand A, Rashed SM, Ibrahim E, Al Shamari H, Huq A, Colwell RR, Fotedar R. Draft Genome Sequences of Seven Vibrio cholerae Isolates from Adult Patients in Qatar. Microbiol Resour Announc. Mar 4;10(9), 2021.
- Anas, A., Chekidhenkuzhiyil, J., Nilayangod, C., Krishna, K. and Raju, G.T.. Prevalence of obligate and facultative anaerobic bacteria in the mudbank along the southwest coast of India. Regional Studies in Marine Science. 42, p.101660, 2021.
- Anas, A., EM, B.T., Jasmin, C., Chandran, C., Vipindas, P.V., Narayanan, S. and KU, A.J.. Microbial community shifts along an estuarine to open ocean continuum. Regional Studies in Marine Science. 41, p.101587, 2021.
- Anas, A., Krishna, K., Vijayakumar, S., George, G., Menon, N., Kulk, G., Tharakan, B.. Dynamics of Vibrio cholerae in a typical tropical lake and estuarine system: potential of remote sensing for risk mapping. Remote Sensing. 13(5), 1034, 2021.
- Anas, A., Sobhanan, J., Sulfiya, K.M., Jasmin, C., Sreelakshmi, P.K. and Biju, V.,. Advances in photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C: Photochemistry Reviews. p.100452, 2021.
- Anas, A., Sukumaran, V., Devarajan, D.N., Maniyath, S., Chekidhenkuzhiyil, J., Mary, A., Kuttan, S.P. and Tharakan, B.. Probiotics inspired from natural ecosystem to inhibit the growth of Vibrio spp. causing white gut syndrome in Litopenaeus vannamei. 3 Biotech. 11(2), pp.1-14, 2021.